Scott has a favorite story he has told the boys through the years about all the fish in the ocean and choosing just the right one. He has shared it with Levi, Aaron and Ben many times. I am sure that Emily and the twins have heard it a few times as well. Well who knew that Luke would experience it for himself! (And probably before the lecture, errrr, story.)
As you know, Luke turned 16 in December. One of the things that he can now enjoy is dating. Scott and I didn't think that we had to worry about that just yet, but little did we know that that sly young man had a sweet young thing waiting in the wings. Saturday Luke planned to go to the movies. I asked with whom he planned to go and he said, Nate, Chris, and Morgan. Well, he went to the movie and it wasn't until that evening that we found out that unbeknownst to us, Morgan is a girl and Luke paid for her movie ticket. Can you say, "date?" The sly little thing went on his first date without us even knowing.
Sunday afternoon, Luke's friend Hayden came by with an adorable young lady, Morgan, and his Mom. Morgan came bearing a fishbowl filled with several fish and a fish hook on a line. Luke had to fish in the bowl and eventually he realized that the goal was not the goldfish, but the plastic fish nestled in the rocks. He hooked it and pulled out and low and behold there was a note in the fishes mouth. The note said, "Out of all the fish in the sea, will you go to Tolo with me???"
Luke was asked out to his first school dance. It was a bittersweet moment for me. My baby has truly grown into a young man. Before I know it, he will be a man and will be off on his own! But for now I truly enjoyed watching his awkwardness as he experienced this momentous first.Well, such a creative 'asking' deserved an equally creative 'answering.' Luke wanted to go with the fish theme. He made a pan of Jello and wrote "yes" in Swedish Fish. When I talked to Em about it she suggested he smother it in whipped cream which he did. He wrote a really sweet, poetic note and took it over to her. I don't have any pictures of her accepting his 'answer', but he said it went well. (I guess she scooped the whipped cream off an threw it on the ground, but the boys were entertained by her reaction and she was excited that Luke said, yes.)

He wrote with Swedish Fish.
The 'answer' smothered in whipped cream.

The note.
So, Scott................there ARE a lot of fish in the sea and our little boy is one of them!!

7 comments:
Way to go Luke. I hope you weren't too traumatized by mom posting it, though. Have fun with the catch and release fishing.
Love,
Ben and Sarah
For the record, Benj, I asked Luke first before I posted. I think he is going to be fine without any residual phobias.
The Swedish fish reply turned out really cute! It's too bad she dropped it. Oh, and Luke is totally smooth- that note is so adorable! You'd better keep a wary eye on him! AND I want pictures of them before the dance!
Oh, she didn't drop the whole thing, just the whipped cream. She didn't want to eat it so she scooped it off and dropped in on the ground.
The fish in the jello idea was great! I can't believe he is old enough to date. I think he was 7 when I first met him.
I'm scared for the days of dating youth in our house! I just might have to use the fish in the sea story, or I'll just send them to uncle Scott for a talk.
I can't believe he is old enough to date either!
Don't worry about your kids, when they are ready, Uncle Scott will be happy to share his wisdom with them!! He has several good stories!
my girls just ask that Luke leave a small corner of his heart for them.
I heard you are coming for a visit ?
Post a Comment