Living in Alaska for so long, I really forgot how beautiful Autumn could be. I actually think that I never really appreciated it before now. Here in Washington there are so many trees! I don't even know the names of most of them. Autumn has been an incredible experience. For one thing, it has lasted longer than a couple of weeks. In Alaska, we learned to enjoy it while we could because it was a fleeting time. There really aren't very many colors in Alaska either. I have always felt that there was a disturbing lack of red in the fall.
Washington has been a riot of colors for several weeks now. The drive from Richland to Yakima has been amazing with all of the shades of red and orange. I have loved walking in the crisp air amid the changing colors of fall!!
I have also discovered that I have an incredible fancy for leaves. I find myself unable to stop myself from picking them up wherever I go. I get out of my car and before I have gone a few steps, I am stooped over gathering some leaves. They are amazing in their variety of shapes and colors and there are so many perfect specimens!!
I went to the Senior center in Pasco for the Rolling Hills chorus rehearsal last week and when I started into the building there were the most amazing leaves I have seen yet. They were enormous!! They were as big as dinner plates! I looked around to see what kind of tree they fell from, but did not see any trees with similar leaves. Of course, I collected a few to take home. A few days later I stopped by the post office and on my way into the building I couldn't resist picking up a beautiful leaf and as I was completing my transaction with the postal worker, the worker noticed the leaf I was holding and asked if I picked it up outside. I sheepishly said that, yes, I had. That opened an interesting dialogue with her and the worker at the next window. She, the one at the other window, mentioned that there are some amazing Oak leaves outside and I confessed that I had taken several home with me the last time I stopped there (I didn't know that they were Oak leaves though.) and she said that she too had taken some home. I mentioned the huge leaves I had collected from the Senior center and she told me that they are Sycamore leaves. She said that she can't resist collecting leaves as well. It was nice to learn that I am not alone in my obsession!
Today I found a beautiful leaf right outside our front door. I had gone out to sweep the leaves off the front walk and there it was. I had to bring it in and add it to my collection.
Scott and Luke have been very patient with me and my fancy for leaves. They don't make fun of me too often. As a matter of fact, when Scott came into the house after work today, he snuck up on me and presented me with a beautiful leaf that he had found on the front walk just where I had found the other one this morning.
I am so grateful for this beautiful world we live in. We are so blessed!!

1 comment:
Now I understand where my obsession with leaves come from, too! Utah has been just like WA for me with all the trees everywhere and the leaves thereof! I don't want to rake because I like the leaves so much! There are these plum trees here that have these dark purple leaves that are really pretty- and there are some Sycamore trees in the park bordering the house so we've collected some of the humongous leaves, too. There's just something really pretty about leaves that I can't put my finger on. . . so I have to pick them up and take them home to contemplate!
Post a Comment