Sunday, May 25, 2008

Birthday Benny!! or Better Late Than Never

Happy, Happy Birthday Benny, Dear! Happy days will come to you all year!
If I had one wish, then it would be................................
A Happy, Happy birthday to you, from me!!


Benjamin Grant Ekstrom was born on a beautiful spring day in Pocatello Idaho on April 14th in the year 1985. At least I think it was a beautiful day. I had been in labor for over 48 hours and was extremely anxious for him to make his debut! The labor had been hard and we had been counting the contractions for 2 days! We went to the hospital and the nursing staff decided that I wasn't quite ready so they sent us home. I asked how we would know when to come back as the contractions were already less than 5 minutes apart. The reply was, when you can't stand the pain anymore. Ouch!! We dutifully left and after just a few hours of suffering, Scott called good 'ole Dr. Lackey and explained the situation to him. He was appalled. He advised us to go to the hospital and to tell those nurses that under NO circumstances were they to send me home again. He met us there shortly after and after breaking the water and a few more hours of labor, Benjamin came into the world. Screaming his head off, says Scott.

I had had my little heart set on my baby being a little girl. She was going to be named Melissa. When I finally pushed the baby out and Dr. Lackey informed me that it was a boy, I was momentarily disappointed. "Are you sure?" I squeaked. Holding the little thing up for my inspection (little good it did, as they had taken off my glasses and all I saw was a pink blur), Dr. Lackey replied in the affirmative. Goodbye Melissa, hello Ben!

Ben was a beautiful baby with a patient, affectionate personality. He was immediately loved by everyone. He was cuddled and snuggled everywhere we went. As he grew, it was evident that he had a quick mind and a great curiosity. He started walking before 10 months and He began to talk in complete sentences before he was 18 months. (I like to tell him that he started talking at 18 months and has never stopped since!) He potty trained himself before he was 2. (He wanted to be like his brothers.) He has always learned things quickly and can remember everything! (He still tortures me with the time I forgot to pick him up from school. I don't remember ever forgetting him, but he could probably tell us what grade he was in and what month!!)

Ben is an amazing person. It has been fun to watch him grow up. His inquisitive mind kept us all busy and his endless string of questions threatened our sanity from time to time, but we survived. (Thank goodness for The World Book encyclopedia!) He was always ahead of his class in school and in high school he proudly announced that he was a nerd and was a member and later the president of the "Nerds of the North" science club. He can still be seen wearing the T-shirt from time to time.

Benny is such an important part of our family. As I have been looking through pictures for the collage, my heart is full of memories of him and his charming ways; his hugs and his ideas and his happy personality!

How I love my Benny!!

1 comment:

EM said...

I love my Benny Bunny!