We were happy in our Alaska home without many spiders, snakes and apparently, ticks. I should have gotten a clue when Fitzwilliam's vet urged me to buy flea and tick medicine before we left Alaska and counseled me to start it immediately. We followed his advice and we did not encounter a single tick last summer. No so this year.
A couple of months ago, we discovered a huge tick on Fitz a couple of weeks after we took him for a romp in the wilds. Scott and I were on bikes. We couldn't figure out where he got a tick until a week or so later when Scott took him back to Burbank for a hike. On the drive home, Scott felt something on his neck and discovered several ticks on him and a day or two later he and I pulled out at least 40 ticks from Fitz.
Wednesday night Scott invited me to accompany him on a ride to get a orienteering course set up for the Teachers group. Alas, I found that we were headed to Burbank! EEEKKK!
We did pretty good until I crashed my bike into some brush and after that I discovered about a half a dozen of the creatures trying to make their way up my leg on the inside of my pant leg! Yes, I freaked!! I practically stripped on the road trying to make sure I got them all off of me!!
So, I have been happy here in our Washington home, but now, with the addition of these creepy creatures, I am having second thoughts. Who's idea was it to move here anyway???


10 comments:
that is totally disgusting! I WOULD have stripped in the road. I would not have been able to get them out of fitz. you are very brave. stay out of the bushes!!
smokie
Alaska is so nice about the no bugs. I wish everywhere could be that way. We are trying to settle in WA with the Air Force, at Fairchild AFB outside of Spokane, (because it seems so much like alaska without being alaska) so dont scare me off to badly. :O) But really at this point almost anywhere seems better then this 110dry Vegas heat. :O)
I don't know about being brave. I was pretty creaped out. It is amazing that I didn't loose my cookies right there! Scott was the one picking them out of Fitz. I had to hold the cup that we were putting them in and hold Fitz still.
Icky! I know that has been the only thing about living in the lower 48 -- the bugs, and other unknown creatures! I am personally terrified of hobo/recluse spiders! We had some house spiders last year, and they totally looked like hobo, but after some internet research (thank goodness for quick answers!) I found that they were not the posionous kind! Thank goodness! Having a spider crawling on my face in the night freaked me out, but I felt a little better knowing it was not deadly!
How big are those ticks? They look nasty! Hope you are not too tick-lish!:-)
I know what you mean about those spiders! I am the same way! I really don't do bugs very well. The ticks are pretty small, smaller than pencil eraser. Maybe that size if you factor in the legs; but they still creep me out!! I am still so bug shy that every time I get a tickle or itch, I am sure it is a tick and I get all freaky!
You should move to Utah - We don't have ticks or spiders or scorpions or rattesnakes or anything. Just white fluffy bunnies that like to cuddle.
Okay, so now the comment the other night makes sense!!! But let me share with you on thing as a native to the area - There is NO good reason to go to Burbank - EVER!!!!!! Which I'm sure you agree with now.
Hey Mom, I would have freaked out, too, and I'd still be running down the road screaming.
You know, there aren't many ticks here in Provo. . . . I haven't seen a single one. . . .
I HATE TICKS! When I was little, I had one in my head and remember my grandpa having to heat up a sewing needle to work it out of my scalp. YUCK!!!
I have to agree with you. I hate spiders, rattle snakes (not so much the non-lethal, anything that crawls or slides on their bellies! I'm with you, what was I thinking?!? I guess I need to make nice, we were put here on this earth for a reason and so were these insects and animals (not sure why that is). It will be one of my questions at the gate. Take care!
Post a Comment