Sunday, March 15, 2009

Zuster Ekstrom

The day finally arrived. We took Hilary to the MTC. It was a wonderful day full of mixed emotions and tears. It was our 4th trip to the MTC to drop off our children so we had a pretty good idea of what to expect, but there is something about leaving your daughter that is so tender and choice.

I spent the week before with Hilary. We spent just about every minute together. Wow, my daughter is pretty awesome! I will cherish those days! She asked a million questions and it was interesting the things that she wanted to know about me and my life when I was her age and before Scott and I were married. It amazes me to think that I was married and about to become a mother when I was her age. I planned to go on a mission and had my 2 year plan going pretty well when Scotty swooped in and totally swept me off my feet. I wouldn't trade the last 30 years for anything, but a little piece of me has always regretted not serving a mission. I have come to realize that I may not have actually served myself, but I have contributed my 3 sons and now my precious daughter to the work. I am excited to serve vicariously through Hilary's letters and experiences!

I posted a few pictures of us at the MTC. Scott was in charge of pictures and for some reason he didn't take too many. The one of Hilary and Luke is my favorite. It is good to see him so excited for Hilary and I love to hear him talk about when he serves his mission.

For those of you who don't know, Hilary has been called to serve in the Belgium, Brussels / Netherlands mission. She will be learning dutch in the MTC.

For more pictures and weekly updates on her mission, check out Hilary's blog. I plan to update it on Sundays and hopefully it will be a fun documentation of her experience.







7 comments:

MegJill said...

Congratulations on getting another missionary out there! It seems so strange that she is old enough to go on a mission. Brooks was very shocked when I told him. I, like you, always have a bit of regret in me when I hear of others going. I was just too chicken at the time.
Your picture from after your show is hilarious! Would have loved to have seen the show, if we only were closer. :)
I find it wonderful that you are in a chorus!

Kirsti said...

What an exciting day! I'm sure Hilary will be an exceptional missionary. I always wanted to serve a mission too. I figure that my hubby will take me on a mission when we're "old" and gray!

Settler's Bay Relief Society said...

How is it that one of the twins is old enough to go on a mission? There's no way I'm that old...and I know your no where nere old enough. Congradulations on sending another one out. I'm glad I found your blog, its great to check in on the Ekstrums every once in a while to see what you guys are up to!

ray said...

I am so happy for Hilary and you! I can hardly imagine what that must feel like as a mother, although someday I hope I will. Hilary looks so bright and beautiful. She will be an awesome missionary!

janellaphantz said...

Yea Cheryl this is so exciting!! Funny story: when Levi (my brother) went into the MTC my mom made me take him cause she had done it once with me and decided it was too hard to do again-LOL You strong brave soul--going back for a 4th trip!

laurie said...

Cheryl,
I can't believe your girls are old enough to date, much less go on a mission. They are beautiful! It's wonderful to see our friends doing so well. We'll call and get together next time we're in Kennwick.
Laurie

Laurie said...

What a wonderful daughter, who has the most wonderful mother! I love you and your girls so much!! I am so proud of Hilary it has been such an amazing pleasure of mine watching her turn in to this beautiful, spiritual woman she has become! Love always!!