Saturday, July 18, 2009

Happy 4th and Bringing Home Treasures

Scott and I had a great 4th this year. We decided to head down to Idaho to visit Mom and Dad Ekstrom. We found them in excellent spirits, even though Mom is toodling around in a wheel chair and Dad is still building up his strength after his bout with pneumonia. We started the day with Dad's world famous, Awful Waffles! Thanks, Dad!! Then we headed into Inkom for the annual parade. We parked our chairs at Michelle's house and enjoyed good company and a great small town parade!

During the day, Scott loaded up some of his "treasures" that Mom and Dad have been keeping safe for him all of these years. I am not really sure what all he brought, but I know the collection includes, an engine, a couple of transmission, misc other car thingys and a motorcycle.

We headed into Pocatello for the fireworks in the evening and we met Aunt Pat and Uncle Jay in a parking lot where they had staked out a good viewing spot and enjoyed a good catching up session! We were later joined by Michelle, Kyle and Preston and his lady friend. It was a wee bit chilly, but the fireworks were awesome and we really enjoyed it.

Sunday morning we piled into the truck. Luckily, Scott had saved enough room for Fitz in the truck so he didn't have to ride in the cab with us. Unfortunately, it was at the back of the truck and Fitz complained rather loudly about not being able to stand with his nose on the window keeping an eye on us. Fun times!

Spending holidays with family is one of the things that we really missed while we lived in Alaska. It is so awesome to hit the road and be with family within a few hours. We are truly blessed!

Unfortunately, I neglected to take pictures during the parade. I was too busy dodging the crazy amount of candy that was thrown out of every vehicle. Michelle finally went inside to get us a bag to put it in! This picture is of Mom chatting with Preston and Michelle taking Scott on a tour of her yard. Most of the parade participants headed back to the staging area in front of Michelle's house so I was able to get a picture or two. Here is the motorcycle group. They were on all kinds of bikes and scooters.
This is the morning we left. Sorry not a very good picture. Too much light, I think. Mom is getting pretty good at getting around in that wheel chair!!
I knitted Dad a hat for Father's Day. I don't think he likes it too much; or maybe it is just too hot for a wool cap in July. Anyway, he did wear it on the top of his head which I just HAD to get a picture of!
"Bombs bursting in air......"
This is not the motorcycle Scott brought home with us. David rebuilt this one. Doesn't it look good? He is so adorable showing it off!
I had to take a picture of my man on the motorcycle!!Now, THIS is the motorcycle we brought back with us. Scott's from high school. Sometime since then it took on a strange transformation. I call it the motorcycle skeleton. All of the pieces were in boxes. Scott thought it would be a fun project for he and Luke to do together.
Here is the first step in the restoration process. Take the rest of the bike apart...
Check out the engine and rebuild. Scott determined that at some point someone ran it into a creek or a lake and got the engine full of water and then didn't drain it out. More parts. Gas tank and seat.
It will be fun to see a motorcycle emerge from the chaos of parts that are in the garage! The only thing missing is Luke to share in the fun!!

6 comments:

Patrick said...

Isn't there already a motorcycle that is mostly pieces in the garage? Scott's old bike doesn't look too bad.
We tried to watch our parade but just roasted to death in the sun and gave up because there was hardly any candy.

EM said...

Yeah- there was a serious lack of candy at Provo's parade. It was incredibly lame.

donna said...

looks like you had a great trip! :)

Jayme said...

Awww, Grandma Eckstrom in a wheel chair? How sad! I think about her every time I pass Inkom. I very much enjoyed the weekend we spent with her when Ben and Aaron were in town. Eli was just a little guy then. Anyway, Hope you're doing well!!

Ben or Sarah said...

I enjoy reading your posts. You think anything will ever happen with all those pieces? we will see.

Amanda said...

Cheryl-
I love looking at all your pictures. I'm not on facebook anymore, so I decided to give this blog thing a try!