Sunday, August 23, 2009

What a week!

Last weekend was the Allen Family reunion. Luke and I drove to Island Park on Thursday and Friday we were busy getting things ready and Luke made his "boat" for the Milk Bottle Regatta.
Saturday morning we had breakfast together and then headed out to the lake for the Regatta. It was cold and windy, but the die hards in the family donned their suits and jumped in! It was a lot of fun.

Luke designed a kind of body board that he propelled by his feet. You can see Katie on the Bell's entry to the right and to the left is Jared paddling his pop bottle creation. Paul made a boat out of pill bottles. You can see him paddling along in the 2nd picture below.
The pictures below are of Esther's birthday celebration. Since we missed her birthday in June, we told her that we would have a party when they came up here to visit us. They were originally supposed to come shortly after her birthday, but life happened and they didn't make it until this past week, but we still had to have a party!

Em, the kids and I went to Red Robin for lunch and then to the movies to see G-Force. When we walked into Red Robin, the kids were so excited! There were balloons everywhere of course and when we sat down, Esther asked if she could get a dessert with a cherry on top. Of course we told them that we were celebrating Esther's birthday and when we were about done eating, they brought her some balloons and a dessert with a cherry! I didn't think to grab my phone until they were about done singing, but it was so cute to see crazy Esther stand there all bashfully.

This picture is shortly after they brought the dessert. I think that she just gave Eve the cherry. The pictures below are of the cake that I made for her. We came home from the movies and the girls immediately donned their swim suits and headed to the back yard and the pool. When Grandpa got home from work, we brought out the cake and dug in.

Can you tell it is a sunflower? Emily made the bee from an extra cupcake. Isn't he cute???
I tried to get a picture of her blowing, but she was too fast for me. By the time the shutter would click, she was standing up.
Isaac decided to help her out a bit. He was anxious to try the yummy bee!Em and the kids only stayed this week. Isaac and Eve needed to get home to start school. It was great to have them here. I was really tired all week while my body tried to recover from the drive to the reunion and everything. (I am back to my daily naps. It's kind of pathetic, but I need them. ) The house is quiet with them gone and we miss them already.

5 comments:

donna said...

what fun times.
The cake is so cute. :)

Kirsti said...

I need to be more creative with birthday cakes. Very cute! Looks like you had a fun time.

ray said...

I love the cake! I've seen it done with Twinkies for petals, the downside being, you have to eat Twinkies. The cupcakes are much more appetizing, and cute too.

MegJill said...

The cake is adorable! Good job on it, and good job to Emily on the bee. I bet Esther and the others had a great time visiting grandma and grandpa!

EM said...

That was a great week. I wish we could have stayed longer!