

I took Luke to school this morning. Well, actually he drove to school with me in the passenger seat. I don't know if it was the fact that I was the passenger and so was more observant or what, but when we pulled into the parking lot I was amazed at the cars parked there. Front and center was a brand new Prius, a shiny Lexus a few cars down and late model pickups and cars everywhere!
What ever happened to the kids 'beater" car line of thinking?? Sure, when my older kids were going to high school there was the occasional really nice car, but most of the cars in the parking lot were tough, sturdy, seasoned vehicles who had graduated from the school of hard knocks and were totally qualified to transport fledgling drivers without worrying about nicks or dings. The student parking lot at Dimond High School was a daily resting place for old Subaru's and Suburbans, not an outdoor showroom for all of the shiny new models of each car company.
Having successfully nurtured and trained 6 new drivers (and just about to launch the 7th upon the roads!) I can't help but think that sometimes the old ways really are the best ways. There will be no shopping for a new car to celebrate the acquisition of Luke's drivers license if he passes the driving test tomorrow, nor will there be a car at his disposal. He will be reduced to borrowing the family car and learning to work together and share the resources we have available.
Of course, those resources do include a 68 Chevy truck Scott recently procured. Now, wouldn't it look great parked next to a shiny new Prius??
Friday, September 11, 2009
What are parents thinking?
Posted by
Cheryl
at
9:01 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Ok, when I first read your subject line I thought you were going to repost pictures of infant Esther in the toilet- but this is a much better subject! I agree that fledgling drivers should in no universe have brand new cars. Don't worry, mine never will. . . . . :)
I didn't have my own car until I was 22 and about to get married! And it was a OLD gray Volkswagon station wagon thing that we paid $300 for. I still miss that car.
The truck looks like a neat old car that would beat up all those nice shiny cars if they ever got in a wreck together! Good choice.
You are so right! We're saving Andy's 2003 Ford Ranger for Carson to drive to High school. By then it'll be almost 20 years old... he'll love us.
I would have killed to drive that truck in HS. I reduced to the old pinto after Chris crashed the subaru. (not even a cool suburban did we have). I agree, that kids shouldn't be handed a brand new pretty car (shoot, I'm 30 and don't even have one!).
The last we were at BYU ( Last Oct) I was also amazed to see some of the cars he kids were driving. NEW and very $$$$$ cars!
I will be providing transportation for my kids . . . their feet!! :-)
I love this Cheryl! my dad only bought cars from men in thier 70-80s that were at least twice our age! I think he said it "built character" to drive those cars around :)
Its how it should be!
Just found your blog... Love it!!
And I love this post. I totally agree!
Post a Comment