Sunday, September 27, 2009

The Prophet said to plant a garden, and that's what I'll do!

When we were house hunting down here, we had a short list of things that the new house HAD to have. It needed to be a ranch style house with a front porch for a swing, have a jacuzzi tub, and a place for a garden. Any of you who have been to our house know that it is a 2 story with a nice landscaped yard with no porch. It does have a big tub but no jacuzzi. 0 for 4. I am not quite sure how we ended up here.

(Scott had asked our Realtor where the Temple was and she replied that she had just shown a really nice ranch style home near the Temple and so we decided to go check it out. While we waited for the owner to leave, we noticed another house for sale and felt drawn to look inside. 5 or 6 steps past the front door and the house had me. I felt so at home. I didn't love everything about the house, but I knew it loved me. When we prayed for direction in choosing the new house, we felt that this was the correct choice, no front porch and all!)

For two years we have been trying to figure out how to have a garden without digging up the yard. Originally, we planned to get rid of the swing set and take out the rocks and put in dirt, but the grand kids came and enjoyed it so much we just couldn't get rid of it. So, our effort to follow the Prophet and plant a garden has included the use of containers, retaining walls and good ole creativity.

The first two pictures are of our tomato plants. You can also see the cucumber plants at the end of the line. We had peas earlier this year in the empty pots you see. Behind this tomato plant you can see the strawberry patch. We extended a short retaining wall and planted strawberries. They have been struggling because somebodies hairy black monster likes to lay there when it gets hot. The next 2 pictures are of our squash crop. We planted it in the front yard in the circle around a tree. It has grown like crazy, but there are only 3 squash.
Next is our awesome corn crop. Scott thought that we could plant some corn and peas in the spaces between the blocks of the retaining wall on the side. It has been interesting to see the little plants struggle to grow. The peas did pretty well but the plants were pretty spindly and only about a third of the corn survived that same hairy black beast! He has it out for corn for some reason. Out patch is really adorable. The stalks are only about 2 1/2 feet tall. Every stalk has at least one ear growing and you can see that they are very small. You can also see one of our pepper plants at the end of the corn row.

We have had fun with our little crop. Amazingly, the tomatoes have been fruitful and we are enjoying fresh picked cherry and grape tomatoes just about every day! We have also "harvested" peppers, cucumbers, peas, and squash.

So, we don't have a big garden, but have been blessed for our efforts. Now, how can we add a porch to the front?

3 comments:

donna said...

I think you should teach a lesson

on "How everyone one can plant garden anywhere." GOOD JOB!

EM said...

You have a big hairy beast and I have three not-so-hairy little beastlings! It is so amazing that any of your retaining wall garden survived! My small beastlings like to pick the apples off the tree before they are ripe and tomatoes off the vine and show them to me when they are green. Helpful tendencies- but not good for harvesting! I am amazed that you were able to grow so many things in just containers and around the front tree! I could have sworn there were more squashes there when we were visiting, though- did Fitzy get to those as well??

MegJill said...

Your little corn field is so cute! Ahhhh. If only you could get the black monster to like another garden instead of yours. :)
I think your house is wonderful! And it is amazingly close to the temple! I now realize how spoilt we were to have a temple so close in Idaho. We miss that.
Have fun eating your tomatoes and garden goods! I was slightly grossed out when Brooks and I did our first garden and I'd actually find ear wigs on our food. Made me not want to eat it. But now I see how nice (and cheap) it is to grow your own food. And store bought veggies just don't taste the same!