I did it! I went to jail. I suffered for the cause. I'm sorry to say that I dreaded yesterday. I really don't enjoy putting myself into these unknown situations. The closer it got to 10:00, the more I felt my stomach tighten and wished that I had had the gumption to say no, when I was approached. I called my boss about a work matter shortly before leaving to turn myself in and my mindless chatter should have given me a clue to the stress underlying my calm demeanor. At one point I said, "I'm sorry, I'm rambling, aren't I?" and she replied with, "Yes, you are!"
I walked into the jail and instantly I was seized upon by a spindly, wizened ole coot with his gray haired ponytail bouncing under his stetson. My eyes took in the shiny silver star on his chest just as his grip tightened on my arm and he lead me to the "Judge" who announced that the charges against me were "being AWOL from work." (Oh wouldn't someone tell him that I would much rather be there!) He set my bail at $500.00. Impossible!
Officer Earl, led me to a corner to have my mug shot taken and left me there with a kind woman who explained that I would need to sit in the jail and call anyone and everyone I knew and beg them to pledge money to earn my way out. I clutched my sponsor sheet which I had printed off the computer that morning and thought of the amount that I was short of the intended bail and allowed myself to be led to the bar-walled box and sat down at a table and gazed through the bars wondering how I got into this and how to get out.
I sat between two gentlemen who were vigorously dialing their cell phones. I couldn't help but listen as they called in favors. The man on my right had a stack of filled out pledge forms in front of him and I heard him say that he couldn't get a hold of the person he was speaking to earlier and so he called his or her father who ended up pledging $500.00. Wow! Then I heard the guy on my left tell his phone that he hadn't seen him or her for years, but hopefully he or she would remember him, and would he be interested in supporting the March of Dimes.
How could I compete with this dedication, or desperation to get out of jail. I wished for a 'get out of jail' card, but knew in my heart that I could do something; just a little bit more. By my calculations, I needed $110.00 dollars more. I could do that; I could humble myself enough to give it a go anyway. I swallowed my pride and fear and made a few calls and before long I had the 110 dollars. (Only one person declined to help me.) I scooped up my purse and papers and made my way to the cashier's table. I beamed as she totaled my contribution. My smile faded as she announced that I had raised not $500.00, but $400.00. What?? Then I looked at the totals and saw that I had erred when I totalled my initial pledges. My face flushed and I began to apologize when they whooped with excitement at my great effort! The judge accepted my abbreviated bail amount and I was set free. Old, homer the law man even offered to give me a ride back to my lonely office. Why did I ever prefer it's quiet to this virtual beehive of charitable energy? I reluctantly walked to my car, embarrassed by my idiotic error, but warmed by the fact that I had stepped out of my comfort zone and made a contribution to humanity.
Wednesday, September 10, 2008
Jail Bird
Posted by
Cheryl
at
6:44 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Wow, what a crazy experience! I bet it almost felt a little like Missionary work...only for a different cause. -To jump out of your comfort zone, to call random people and ask for donations. You did a great job, even with the shortage. I don't think I could do that! You are a brave, wonderful example!
Post a Comment