Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Thanks, Daddy!


Yesterday was Veterans Day. I thought about my Dad all day. He is a Veteran of WWII. There really aren't a lot of them left, unfortunately.
He served in Japan. He was a medic and I am sure experienced some horrific things there in the South Pacific. When I was a kid, we would try to get him to talk about the war and what he did and it was like pulling teeth to get him to tell us anything. I guess he didn't want to relive that time.
I am just so grateful for him and countless others like him, who sacrificed so much for this country. (And for all those who are now sacrificing for this country.)
This summer at our family reunion, my Dad sang, "God Bless America" around the campfire. It was heart warming to hear the inspired words of Irving Berlin, sang with the conviction of one who risked his life for the love of his country. The lilting tones of his Irish tenor voice strummed our heart strings and brought tears to our eyes. We felt the depth of his convictions and his love for his country and for us.
Thank you, Daddy!

4 comments:

Katie The Lady said...

You know, my grandpa Andersen was in WWII also. I wish he hadn't died when I was still young because now that I'm older and love history, I have so many questions for him! I love reading about WWII, love the band of brothers, and all those stories. I wish I could find out more about what my grandpa did, but have never found anything online after searching.

It is really sad to me that our souldiers just aren't respected anymore. They come home to protesters and grief. I wish we still celebrated them, like in past generations. They deserve much better! I hate how Americans treat our soldiers and heros now!

MegJill said...

It's great to see some pictures of him from his younger years! I think that sometimes it's easy to forget what the veterans did for us all. It was great to be reminded, and to know that he served! I don't think I knew that before. Blogs are such a good way to learn things about others that you didn't know before!

Jenn Allphin said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Ben or Sarah said...

Thank you grandpa. We are indebted to you.