Monday, September 24, 2007

Uniqueness lost



As you know, we lived in Alaska for 16 years. Not only did we find a home in Alaska, but Alaska found a home in us. I think that the hardest part about moving is letting go of the Alaska in our souls. As we slowly made our way out of Alaska just 3 months ago, we felt the invisible, yet tangible threads tying us to Alaska stretch and eventually fray and break. Some easily and some through much heart tugging and effort.

I finally severed a strong thread that I have been clinging to. Having my Alaska plates on my car has been my link to the place I identify with and love. "I'm from Alaska! I am different and special. I have lived in the 'Great Land' and survived to tell about it. I might live in Washington, but I am Alaskan." Well, my friends, there is nothing special about me anymore. I am just like every other shiny little suv driver around here. I live in Washington.

I am sure that we will grow to love Washington just as we grew to love Alaska. Our 5 year committment to Alaska stretched into 16, who knows what will happen from here!

3 comments:

Mari said...

Cheryl,

I loved Alaska too. However, now that I am in Idaho I am not longing for Alaska - I am longing for Washington! After we are "through" here in about 5 years (the magic number) we want to return to what we consider our home - Spokane.

You will learn to love it there too - I am sure. It takes some time, some holidays, some memories and soon enough it will be home to you. : )

Lots of love!

Mari

Krista said...

Okay, here is my confession: I still tell everyone how we moved here from Taiwan, even though it was almost two years ago that we lived there now. It really is hard to let go of the things that make you special and unique. I guess I should just let it go and let people think we're cool for other things. Huh...except I'm not cool!

EM said...

I have to get a Utah driver license and it's like cutting the umbilical all over again so I totally understand what you are going through! Oh well. I'm still and forever an Alaskan at heart, despite technical details like where I reside.