Having lived in The Great Land, Alaska, for so many years, I think that I have become a kind of scenery snob. What can I say, Alaska is just breathtaking! I think everywhere we went over the years was beautiful. Living at the foot of the mountains produced such a sense of security and permanence.
Since moving to Washington last year, I have really been missing the beauty and majesty. I am learning to love this area, but where are the mountains and sweet smell of forests and streams??
This weekend we decided to get out of the 100+ heat and see what we could see of this new state. We headed in whatever direction Yakima is. (I still haven't developed a sense of direction as you can see!) We passed Yakima and headed toward White Pass. It wasn't long before we began to leave the vineyards and orchards behind and the temperature dropped and we began to see the evergreens and smell the crisp air! Mountains!!! We found them!! We camped in a cozy campground in the Wenatchee National Forest, Indian Creek Campground, where we were able to unwind and soak in the essence of the forest and wild, untamed water. (Well, mostly untamed as the lake we kayaked in was between 2 dams.)
The best thing is that we realized that even though it's not our beloved Alaska, Washington is actually a beautiful place to live.
Luke opted to sleep in a hammock, rather than in a tent. Isn't this a pretty spot he chose??
The next pictures were taken at peril of my life from a moving kayak. Once I almost lost my paddle while trying to zoom in on the guys. It was a beautiful morning for being out on the lake. Not too hot and not too windy. (Of course, I did get an interesting sunburn on my legs. Just the part between my shorts and where they disappeared into the kayak.)

Monday, July 7, 2008
OK, I'll admit it.................Washington IS beautiful
Posted by
Cheryl
at
7:57 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
It is absolutely beautiful. All we have here is canyons and rocks. Lots of rocks! I cant wait to get back to some place that has mountains and lakes and rivers! :O) It sounds like yall had a wonderful weekend!
Ah HAH! This explains why you dropped off the face of the earth! It looks like you had an awesome time and I suppose WA does have some redeeming scenery after all! (Even if it isn't as consistently breathtakingly-beautiful as AK....)
If you ever really miss Alaska, head as west as you can. The Washington coast is only a couple hours away, and it is so green, mountainous, and and very comparable to Alaska. That is where Michael and I would love to end up. I'm glad you didn't drown trying to capture the kayaking-hahaha! What a pretty trip! I'm still trying to find any pretty spot in Idaho...They say it's an outdoors men paradise, but I haven't found Idaho's beauty yet at all!!
Post a Comment