Sunday, December 2, 2007

29 years and a day!



Yesterday was our 29th wedding anniversary. Can you believe it?? It doesn't seem that long ago; time has seemingly just flown by! As you can see by the above pictures, there is a little bit more of each of us to love! Scott is a little (tee, hee!) balder and amazingly enough, my hair is similar to the 'do' I sported back then. Who knew??? Gone with Scott's hair are the enormous glasses I wore then, but I really think that Scott still has that enormous tie!
Beyond the physical changes that are so obvious, we have both grown so much. I remember the feelings of expectation and anticipation that I felt that day as we left the Temple together that night so long ago. I trusted Scott so much. I knew that he would take care of me and any children we would have (I wanted 6-once again, who knew???) I hoped that I would be a good wife to him and that he would always feel loved and valued.
29 years later, Scott still has my trust. He has always worked so hard to provide for us and he has been an amazing husband and father. He loves me and he has always considered me and my needs and done all he could to secure my happiness. I hope that I have always done the same for him. We have had ups and downs over the years, but we have tried to reach out to each other and take each other by the hand and go forward together.
Scott has been an amazing father and earlier this week I witnessed the proof of this. I was scheduled to work a clinic in Spokane and so I drove up the night before and stayed the night with Lynze and Aaron. It was so fun to be with them and to watch Aaron as a husband and father; to see the tender way he cares for his family. The moment that touched me so profoundly was early the next morning when I was preparing to leave the house to head to the clinic, Aaron got up and put on some shoes and went outside to start my car for me and scrape the snow off the windows. He came back for a broom and went back out and swept all the snow off my car. He did just what Scott would have done for me had he been there. My heart swelled with love for a man who has lived a life so selflessly and who set such a wonderful example for his children; and for a son who unselfishly demonstrated his love for me in such a powerful way.
I just asked Scott if he feels loved and valued and he put his arms around me and gave me a long thoughtful kiss. I'll take that as a YES! (He agrees!!)
I don't know if we will live long enough to celebrate 29 more years, but what I do know is that we will keep moving forward together.

4 comments:

Nanci said...

Happy 29 years together! What a touching post. I am such a boob! I sat here bawling through the whole thing! I only hope that in 25 years I have all the same things to say that you do now! I know how it feels to have such a selfless and wonderful husband, and I hope that our boys will pick it up just as undoubtably all of your children have. I love you so much, and you have always been such an inspiration and huge influence in my life. You just added another thing to my very long list of the reasons why I love and look up to you SO much! Again Happy Anniversary!
Love,
Nanci

Mari said...

That is so great! Today is our 8th . . . we have a few more years to catch up to you, and then, Eternity! I LOVE the picture. Scott looks JUST like Aaron, or I should say, Aaron looks JUST like Scott! Amazing! You are so cute! Somehow, you have managed to grow younger! I love you guys!

Mari said...

Well done Cheryl!
I felt the love as I read your thoughts about your husband. You are so blessed to have him. He is a wonderful guy! He was always there to support us in YW...especially w/ his chainsaw at girls camp. Gotta love it!
I'm so glad you ditched your glasses so we can see your beautiful eyes. : ) I agree w/ Mari...you have grown younger and more beautiful. Perhaps it's because you are becoming more DIVINE every day.
I love you!
Kary

EM said...

Happy Anniversary!! I am so glad you two got married. . . and had children. . . hee hee!
I think you look exactly the same as you did when you were hitched- minus the hideous glasses! Love you Mom and Dad!