Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Sweet rewards

Last week was the Relief Society Visiting Teaching meeting. The theme was, Sweet are the Rewards of Visiting Teaching. As a member of the Enrichment Committee, I was assigned to have some kind of centerpiece for the tables. I thought it would be a cinch as I had 6 gingerbread houses made of various sweets sitting at my house. I would just work my centerpieces around them.

(We made all of the gingerbread (graham cracker) houses when all the kids were here for Christmas. Emily and I made some with the kids and then she and the girls made some more a few days later.)

When I returned home from the meeting, I looked at the houses to make sure they were still presentable. They were in awesome shape, but there was a problem. I had forgotten that a couple of them were non traditional. Emily made hers the "house of horrors!" There were gingerbread men impaled on candy canes and other bizarre things. One of the other ones was a disaster scene with roofs collapsed and stuff.

I knew that the gingerbread houses were out. I would have to make a couple more at the very least if I wanted to use them. A couple of days later I got a call from the RS counselor letting me know that they would like 8 tables, rather than the 6 indicated. The houses were REALLY out! So, I thought about the theme and what I could do. I decided to make candy bouquet centerpieces.

I had never made one before, not even seen one. I do know how to wrap flowers so I decided it couldn't be that hard. I don't generally make floral arrangements as it is not a skill I possess. I thought about it and decided to give it a go. I spent a couple hours one evening wrapping all the candy. Scott actually helped me and so it went pretty fast. It took a little trial and error to get the arrangements just right, but I think that they turned out pretty well.

I did something that I really didn't think I was good at it was successful! Amazing!!

Sweet bouquet

All ready!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet Cheryl!

I love the idea. How clever you are (and have always been.) That would be fun to do for Valentine's day with big heart candy, etc. NOw you've got my creative side spinning.

Sure love you,
Kary

Cheryl said...

It would be totally awesome for Valentines day! You could use red and white flowers and heart candy!

You go, Kary!!

Mari said...

That is awesome! I am so glad you are able to use your talents in your new ward. I love it - and I LOVE YOU!!!

Mari ;-)

EM said...

Those turned out really nicely! I still think that nobody would have noticed the headless gingerbreadman. . . .

barbl said...

As the activities committee chairman... they would sure look great on my tables for my sweet party I'm planning in February!